Diversity at ASD
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) is a Commonwealth agency with its headquarters in Canberra that employs both civilian and Australian Defence Force personnel to achieve its unique role, to Reveal their secrets. Protect our own.
Diversity powers ASD's mission. Our strength, resilience and creativity derive from our different ages, backgrounds, caring responsibilities, cultures, neurodiversities, physical abilities, religions and sexualities.
We commit to a respectful and inclusive workplace where it is safe for our people to bring their whole selves to work.
Our work is challenging, and experience shows that the best teams contain people from different backgrounds. Whether you require flexible working arrangements, celebrate particular holidays or have your own particular requirements to do your job to the best of your ability, ASD can support you.
ASD supports specific diversity programs including:
- ASD+ is ASD's LGBTI+ support network. The ASD+ network is inclusive of all staff and holds regular events to support and promote diversity and the inclusion of the LGBTI workforce in ASD.
- The ATSI@ASD network supports Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people working in, or who are interested in working in, ASD and raises awareness of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders' issues, perspectives and events.
- Support for neurodiversity. ASD aims to make its environment comfortable and accommodating for those who identify as neurodiverse. ASD offers unique types of work which highly cognitive, neurodiverse people often gravitate towards and excel at.
- ASD's Parenting Outreach Program ensures we stay in contact with our people on parental leave and assists those interested in returning to work. The program aims to help parents on parental leave to re-establish or build workplace networks and to provide useful information whether directly related to parenting, such as achieving a parenting-work balance, or updates about the workplace that may have occurred in their absence.
- ASD's Women's Leadership Council aims to increase the gender diversity of our STEM and leadership groups, to improve ASD outcomes through better decision-making and improved team performance.
ASD is an agency within the Defence portfolio - read more about our diverse workforce.
Through diversity we gain the varied perspectives needed to tackle complex problems and come up with innovative solutions.