Internship Program and Work Experience
Are you interested in furthering your knowledge of information security while gaining valuable workplace experience?
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) sponsors an Internship Program for tertiary students studying ICT. Internships are undertaken during university summer holidays.
Internships are project-based, relating to current programs or future initiatives such as:
- researching, developing, designing or testing tools or programs for communications network analysis and development
- network protocol design and IP network analysis
- software vulnerability analysis and auditing, including code analysis, static analysis, fuzzing, reverse engineering and vulnerability research
- reviewing and testing current information security policies.
Students will be engaged on a full-time non-ongoing short-term contract for 3 months at an APS 2-level salary (800K PDF) during university summer holidays.
The Internship Program is run from the ASD Information Security Hub in Canberra.
Eligibility and selection criteria
To apply for an internship you must meet ALL the following eligibility and application criteria:
- be a full-time tertiary student who will be continuing full-time tertiary studies in the forthcoming year
- be studying ICT, information security or a related discipline
- have completed 2 years of tertiary study before commencing the Internship Program
- obtain a recommendation and endorsement from their course convener
- be an Australian citizen
- successfully obtain a Defence BASELINE security clearance
- detailed information about academic qualifications and results
- details of any academic, community or other awards
- information about any course-related industry experience placements
- details of current and past employment
- up to 250 words describing a technical project you have undertaken that demonstrates your technical ability and critical thinking
- any related research undertaken.
- Applications for the 2016–17 summer program were open 20 June–22 July 2016.
- Contact the ASD Information Security Hub if you have questions or would like to be notified of future programs.
- Email ASD Information Security Hub or phone (02) 6144 9011
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) offers work experience placements within the Defence Work Experience Program at the ASD Information Security Hub. ASD is the national authority for information security and offers students experience working on information security research projects on:
- hardware and software
- networking technologies
- wireless networks.
Preference will be given to senior high school students who can demonstrate high achievement in mathematics and science and show a keen interest in information technology. Students with an aptitude for discovering how technology works rather than the use of technology will be considered favourably.
The duration and timing of work experience placements is negotiable.
All placements are in Canberra. Students from interstate are welcome to participate but are responsible for their own travel and accommodation.
At the conclusion of each student's work experience, supervisors, work experience coordinators and parents will be invited to a presentation of students' achievements during the placement.
Learn more and apply now for the Defence Work Experience Program at the ASD Information Security Hub.