How and when to apply
How do I apply?
Apply to join the ASD graduate program via Defence Graduate Opportunities
The Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) is part of the Australian Public Service and is based in Canberra.
Employment with ASD is subject to satisfying the requirements of a Psychological Assessment and a Top Secret - Positive Vet security clearance. All applicants must be Australian citizens and be willing to undertake an extensive security and background checking process covering your whole life. You will be employed in the Australian Public Service for a probationary period of 12 months.
To assist you in writing your application, read the following duty statements and selection criteria:
- Analyst duty statement and selection criteria
- IT/Cyber and Information Security Specialist duty statement and selection criteria
Use these Defence Graduate Opportunities hints and tips for writing your application to give yourself the best chance in the selection process.
When do I apply?
The Defence Policy and Intelligence Pathway accepts applications around March each year.
As all successful applicants must undertake a thorough security clearance, it is important you apply well in advance. Ask yourself these questions:
- Will you complete your studies in 2016?
- Will you complete your studies before July 2017, but would like to secure employment before you finish your degree?
- Have you already graduated and are looking for a change of career direction?
- Maybe you will finish your studies in 2016, but would like to travel or take time off before going to work?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of the above, you should apply in 2016 for a 2017 intake. Whatever your situation, you can apply with ASD and potentially secure a career that will be both interesting and rewarding.
- Applications open
- 22 February 2016
- Applications close
- 29 March 2015
- Screening sessions
- May 2016 (TBC)
- Assessment centres (in Canberra)
- June–July 2016 (TBC)
- Security clearances (in capital cities)
- From August 2016
- First intake
- February 2017
- Second intake
- July 2017